The World is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

Read about my adventures while I'm on my Senior Trip in Europe!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Saying goodbye



Actually, Anne and I didn't say "goodbye." Instead, we said, "see you in three weeks!"

I left Sogndal today after a fun day at school with Andrea, last minute shopping with Anne (I found some great vintage finds at a second hand shop!) and sweet rice porridge for supper.



Today it got up to 50 degrees fahrenheit in Sogndal! I can't believe it! The day I decide to leave the sun decides to shine. Oh well.

Anne, Andrea, and Anne's mom Randi all came to the airport to see me on my way. Anne and Andrea surprised me with a gift-a Norwegian troll figurine. It's going to look so great on my nightstand at Peace... :-) Tusen takk, AK and Andrea!


I am incredibly grateful for the time I was able to spend in Norway. It was a spectacular adventure and I am thankful for good friends like Anne and good people that turn into good friends like Andrea, Kaia, Ingvild, and Kristine. Two weeks ago, I was stepping off the plane in Sogndal and getting ready for my introduction to Norway at my first Norwegian party. I've gotten to know all of those people at the party, and it's so nice to look back and see how our relationships evolved.

Anne Kjersti, even though your second name is hard to pronounce and you drop things a lot, I love you so much and I am so glad we are friends. It's crazy to think that just two years ago, I didn't even know who you were! I can't wait for you and your mom to come to North Carolina. It's going to be fantastic!

Even though I nearly froze to death at times, Norway is a lovely place to visit. Everyone is so kind and helpful and if you like bread and cheese, you will love the cuisine. I'm sure that spring is the most beautiful time to visit, but I'm hoping I'll get to go back in the summer. I have this vision that someday I'll swim in a fjord.

Saying goodbye to Sogndal was sad. I have a friend who has lived her whole life in the mountains and now she goes to college in Raleigh. She misses the mountains because they're a part of who she is. For the first time, I feel like I can understand where she's coming from. I'll always love the mountains of Sogndal. Even though they gave me bruises on my legs, a tear in my jacket, and mud on my shoes, I'll still love the Sogndal and her mountains.

I'm currently sitting where I'll probably be sitting for the next ten hours. I snuck into a restaurant, snagged a couch in the back corner, and planted all of my belongings around me. After lots of confusion and a mini panic attack, I have been informed that I can't check in until 6am tomorrow morning. I was also informed that the free WiFi only lasts an hour, so don't be expecting anything else from me for a while.
My home for the night:

I've got a long night and an even longer trip ahead of me but the thought of warm, pond-swimming, horseback riding weather, my mom's cooking, surprising my brothers with their epic souvenirs, and a certain person waiting for me in Greensboro are thoughts that keeping me moving forwards.





1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOU!!!!!

    Can't wait to see you in just a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete